Did you know?
• In 1937, Nebraska became the only state in the Union to have a unicameral (one-house) legislature. Members are elected to it without party designation.
• Nebraska is home to five Fortune 500 Companies, including Berkshire Hathaway, ConAgra Foods, Mutual of Omaha, Peter Kiewit Sons, and Union Pacific Railroad.
• In 1927, Edwin E. Perkins of Hastings invented the powered soft drink Kool-Aid. Kool-Aid was invented by Edwin Perkins in 1927 in Hastings. He changed his soft drink syrup, Fruit Smack, into a powder to make it easier to ship.
• The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska.
• The High Plains Aquifer is a big underground layer of rocks and other materials that are filled with water. Most of this aquifer lies beneath Nebraska, supplying it with more underground water than any other state.
• Mutual of Omaha Corporate headquarters is Omaha, Nebraska. The company was founded in 1909 then known as Mutual Benefit Health & Accident Association.