Did you know?
• The state capital of
• The state population
9,848,060; Rank: 10 of 50.
• The five largest cities are
Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham.
• The state tree is the
Long Leaf Pine.
• The state nickname is "Tar Heel State".
• The Wright brothers completed the first successful flight of a mechanically propelled airplane over the sands of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on December 17, 1903.
• Pepsi was created and developed in 1893 and originally introduced as Brad's Drink by Caleb Bradham of New Bern, NC. It was renamed as Pepsi-Cola in 1898, then changed to Pepsi in 1961.
• The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC is the largest private house in the world, with 250 rooms and an award-winning winery and extensive gardens.
• The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse protects one of the most treacherous stretches of the Outer Banks, with a beam of light that spans 20 miles into the ocean. The lighthouse is also the world's tallest brick lighthouse at a staggering 208' ft. tall.
• In 1937 Vernon Rudolph started making Krispy Kreme Doughnuts to sell to grocery stores in Winston-Salem, NC. The aroma of hot doughnuts filled the air.