Did you know?
• One of the busiest commercial waterways in the world is the Mississippi River. Flowing from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico it is also the longest river in North America.
• Barq’s Root Beer was invented in Biloxi, MS in 1898 by Edward Adolf Barq, Sr.
• Founded in 1957, Hancock Fabrics is a specialty retailer of crafts and fabrics and is committed to nurturing consumers' creativity. Hancock Fabrics was established in Tupelo, MS and is now headquartered in Baldwyn, MS.
• The first heart transplant surgery in the world and the first human lung transplant was performed at the Mississippi Medical Center in 1964.
• If Mississippi smells lemony fresh, that’s because Pine Sol was invented in 1929 by Jackson native Harry A. Cole, Sr.
• Greenville, MS is the birthplace of Jim Henson, the creator and voice for Kermit The Frog who was “born” in Leland where Henson played as a kid.
• Media giant Oprah Winfrey was born in the rural town of Kosciusko, Mississippi, on January 29, 1954.