When our Founder, Clay Freeman, opened the first store in 2005 (formerly Old Florida Spice Traders), he never dreamed that his little store in St. Augustine, FL would become a nation-wide franchise.
“I knew that I wasn’t comfortable trying to establish and manage multiple locations around the country, as I felt that the stores needed to be locally run by people who had a sincere passion... I also knew that I couldn’t do it alone, so I teamed up with a few essential managing partners, and we began the journey through the world of Franchising.”
With the help of four Managing Partners and many dedicated corporate team members, The Spice & Tea Exchange® began franchising in 2008 with one mission in mind: “Creating & sharing the experience of a more flavorful life.” Since then, The Spice & Tea Exchange® has celebrated 44+ stores openings in 26 states and the District of Columbia.
With corporate headquarters located in Palm Harbor, FL, and a 15,000 sq ft state-of-the-art distribution center located in St. Augustine, FL, The Spice & Tea Exchange® is poised for further growth in the specialty retail industry.
At The Spice & Tea Exchange®, we consider our in-store experience to be one of our greatest assets. Our goal is to have our guests feel transported to another place and time as they are immersed in the sights, smells, and flavors of our concept.
When you enter The Spice & Tea Exchange®, you’re turning back time and entering an 18th Century Trading Post, where you’ll experience:
- Heavy wood beams and shelving with apothecary-style jars lining the walls
- Rich, deep colors which accent the space and add to our rustic theme
- Antique displays that are a classic nod to the local community and 18th century era
- A wide variety of products, accessories, and gifts
- A blending theatre designed to allow you to watch Purveyors create our hand-mixed blends and seasonings
- Engaging and knowledgeable team members who encourage interaction and discovery
Become a Franchisee
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- Passion for cooking and quality products
- Desire to engage guests and talk about our products
- Basic business skills and a willingness to learn
- Love of education, outreach, and community involvement
- Commitment to protect and adhere to the system standards and methods the franchise company requires
- The attitude of a team player, motivator, and leader
- Willingness to get involved in a new and exciting community of foodies
To be considered for a The Spice & Tea Exchange® franchise, potential franchisees are required to have a minimum of $60,000 in funds available to invest and a net worth of at least $200,000.
Single Unit Investment
- Total Initial Investment: ranges from $190,450 – $291,650
- Initial Franchise Fee: $37,750
- Establishment Fee: $104,900 (The Spice & Tea Exchange® establishment package includes, but is not limited to, a full line of opening inventory and necessary equipment needed for effective store operations)
- Construction: varies from $30,000 – $80,000
Area Development Program options are available based on a scaled pricing structure. Contact a Franchise Development Representative for more information.
Benefits of Multi-Unit /Area Ownership:
- Brand Management tools which allow franchisees to manage franchise locations with ease
- Leveraged buying power for multiple locations
- Marketing area co-operative advantages
- TSTE® technologies and infrastructure which provide visibility needed to manage operations remotely
- Cross-training and staffing capabilities
The Spice & Tea Exchange® has established relationships with lenders that can provide very competitive terms and rates for qualified individuals. We are an Approved Vendor with the SBA, a member of FranRegistry and proud to offer qualified veterans a discount of 25% off the franchise fee.
Unit Franchise and Local Area Development opportunities available. Contact one of our Franchise Development Representative for more information.
Choosing a Location
Our team will work with you to identify locations with the highest possibility of success. Here are a few "key” location ingredients to get started:
- Optimal store size: 800-1,100 sq ft
- Shopping/dining tourist destination with high foot traffic
- City plans for local growth and area development
- Community drivers such as art fairs, annual community events and festivals.
Get to Know Us
Our commitment to quality begins here and continues long after you open your store. We’re committed to YOUR success, and will work with you to determine if this is the right opportunity for you.
Let’s get to know each other! To begin your exploration, please complete the initial inquiry form to gain access to our virtual brochure.